Friday 22 June 2012

Atheism and Feminism

One of the hardest lessons I ever had to learn was that just because someone agrees with you on one thing, no matter how important that thing is, doesn't mean they can't be a complete shit in some other way.  And even knowing this doesn't stop it being disappointing when it happens.  I bring this up because I want to talk about the arguments that arose out of ElevatorGate in the skeptic/atheist community over the last eighteen months or so.

Now, after all this time I don't have too much to add to the substance of the "debate" itself.  From the links to the right, it should be easy to see that I come down on the side of Rebecca Watson and her allies in the whole affair.  Really, I want to focus more on the fact that so many self-professed atheists proved to be uninterested or even hostile to feminism from a personal perspective.


I've long though of myself as a feminist; indeed, longer than I have identified as an atheist.  However, my love of science and reason predates and is the common origin for both.  In this sense I see the two concepts as related.  I am an atheist because, given the evidence, I find the proposition that there is no god or gods the most likely situation.  Similarly, I am a feminist because an examination of the evidence and history convinced me that equality of the sexes has certainly not been achieved, with men in the ascendant.  Granted, that also requires a value judgement---that equality would be a worthwhile goal---but I can see no rational reason to reject that perspective.

So, obviously, I hastily generalised and assumed on some level that all atheists thought the same way.  Despite knowing better.  So, when everything erupted, I was disappointed.  It's still a good bet that any thread on Pharyngula on feminism will bloat to hundreds of comments and feature many of the same tired arguments, which raises the question of why I still read those threads.  (The answer is Bile Fascination, i.e. it's like watching a car wreck).  On a purely personal level, I was able to learn about concepts such as privilege (in the sociological context) as a result of the whole affair.  Still, I'm not intending to draw any kind of equivalence and suggest that compensates for the vitriol thrown at some of the people involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment